Javier A. Alvarez
Mr. Alvarez is a managing partner of the firm and works in the firm’s Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups. His practice focuses on a wide-range of domestic and cross-border business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, financings, joint ventures and other general corporate matters. Mr. Alvarez represents domestic and international companies, entrepreneurs, start-ups, funds, family offices, and strategic and financial investors in transactions involving various industries, including financial services, healthcare, agriculture, maritime, real estate, hospitality and technology.
Mr. Alvarez has considerable experience in the financial services industry, having been involved in a number of the most notable financial institution M&A transactions in South Florida during the past several years. He was recently recognized in the publication, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the banking and finance practice area.
Mr. Alvarez began his career working at the international law firm, Holland & Knight LLP, where he worked in the firm’s international and cross-border transactions group.
In the community, Mr. Alvarez serves on the Board of Directors of the Centro Mater Foundation, a local organization that provides education and social services to low-income families in various schools located in Miami-Dade County.
Notable Financial Services M&A Experience
- Represented Banco de Crédito e Inversiones (Bci), in the purchase of City National Bank of Florida from Bankia, S.A., for a purchase price of US$946 Million.
- Represented BAC Florida Bank in its sale to Banco Bradesco, for a purchase price of US$500 Million.
- Represented City National Bank of Florida in the purchase of TotalBank from Banco Santander, for a purchase price of US$529 Million.
- Represented the Egas Family, the owner of Banco Pichincha in Ecuador, in its acquisition of Intercredit Bank, N.A.
- Represented Anchor Bank in its pending merger with Home Federal Bank of Hollywood.
- Represented a group of foreign investors in the proposed acquisition of Espirito Santo Bank from the Portuguese bank, Banco Espirito Santo.
- Advised a number of domestic and international financial institutions in connection with their U.S. bank merger and acquisition activities. Such representation has included the structuring and negotiation of transaction terms, and the filing of applications with various Federal and State bank regulatory agencies.
Notable Domestic and Cross-Border M&A and General Corporate Experience
- Represented a company involved in the re-marketing and sale of consumer products in its sale to a New York-based private equity firm.
- Represented the foreign shareholders of produce inspection companies based in Florida and Chile in the sale to a Hong Kong bases quality control service provider.
- Represented a U.S. enterprise imaging and document solutions company in the sale of its Central and South American business units to a Japanese electronics company.
- Represented a Latin America-based internet business in its sale to one of Latin America’s largest e-commerce companies.
- Represented a mobile home park operator in the sale of its company.
- Represented a foreign airline in multiple aircraft acquisition transactions, each valued at over $50 Million.
- Represented a group of investors in their acquisition of a controlling interest in a construction and landscaping company.
- Represented a Miami-based real estate investment firm in connection with a preferred equity transaction used to facilitate the acquisition of a multifamily apartment community.
- Serve as de facto outside general counsel to various small to mid-sized companies, providing representation on a wide-range of legal and strategic matters.
Notable Financing Experience
- Represented financial institution as co-lender in financing for the acquisition of the Setai Hotel and the Abbey Hotel in Miami Beach.
- Represented financial institution in asset-based credit facility to a tire distribution company.
- Represented financial institution in asset-based credit facility to a seafood supplier company.
- Represented financial institution in asset-based credit facility to a specialty pharmacy company.
- Represented financial institution in asset-based credit facility to a leading specialized wireless distributor.
- Represented financial institution in asset-based credit facility to an oil distribution company.
- Represented financial institution in acquisition finance and asset-based credit facility to a liquor store chain.
- Represented financial institution in acquisition finance and term loan credit facility to a fitness gym franchise.
- Represented financial institution in multi-facility transaction with a local bakery chain.
- As Assistant General Counsel for a local financial institution, served as lead counsel in various domestic and foreign finance transactions.
Admitted to Practice
BS, Psychology, University of Florida, 2002
JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
Board of Directors, Centro Mater Foundation
CABA – Cuban American Bar Association
Hispanic National Bar Association
Belen Alumni Network
Penn Law Alumni Network
Publications, Awards and Recognition
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, ranked attorney in the banking and finance practice area (2022, 2021-2020 Up & Coming)
Dealmaker of the Year, Corporate International category, Daily Business Review (2016)
Honored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as a “40 Under 40″ Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County (2014)
Recognized as one of Florida’s “Up and Comers” by Florida Trend Legal Elite (2012 and 2014)
Recipient Latin Lawyer magazine “Deal of the Year” Award for Outbound Investment (2013)
Guest Lecturer, Florida International University MBA Program, “Financial Institution M&A Transactions”